Thursday, September 23, 2010

Cutie-boy and crafting-itch


It was pouring down rain the other afternoon and Ray just loved it.  I let him go to town on my plants. (we're moving in a month and I'll have to dump them anyway.) He was just so funny and I loved it! 
Ray saw Joey's boots and starting climbing in! So we helped him and got this cute shot. 

Here are the fabrics I got to make a baby quilt for baby #2!
Very excited to jump into this project!! 
This fabric was on super-sale and so I got it, too. I figure I'll find some use for it! 

TADA!!! I was so paranoid about not finishing this stocking in time that I was a little over-zealous! I've neglected all housework and put all my efforts into this cute stocking.  After the baby is born I'll add her name in the white portion on the top. I'm really really happy how it turned out!!!
***This next explanation is for all my family members who are also making appliqué stockings this year!***
The kit just comes with a large piece of felt for the back but I edited a bit (did the same for Ray's last year, too.) I got some double-sided quilted fabric and cut out a piece the same size as the original stocking back. I used my sewing machine to sew them right-sides together and then turned it inside-out (to hid the rough edges).  Then I hemmed the top edge by folding 1/4 of an inch and sewing and then folding 1/4 of an inch again and sewing. At this point I had just a green-felt stocking with a plaid back.  I used my newly acquired appliqué skills and attached the Santa piece to the green front piece.  Last step was adding the little loop to hang it from! Sorry I didn't take more pictures along the way but just call me if you have more questions!
This is what it looks like from the back!! 

4 comments:

Meg said...

Oh my gosh, that stocking looks amazing!! I can't believe you got it done so fast! Don't forget to let us know about babysitting. We'd still love to :)

Matt and Kristine said...

Holy Moly! The stocking looks wonderful! Did you hand sew each sequin on or use glue? She will love it forever and ever because her mommmy hand made it for her. So, the new quilt... strips like your mom does or log cabin or a rag quilt? I am excited to see it. Too bad you have to dump your plants, they look good!

Matt and Kristine said...

PS: Ray was looking so big and grown up until he but Joey's boots on! Then he looked about 12 inches tall.

Annie Ogle said...

Wow! Looks so good. I suppose there is hope for me to do mine in time. I love Ray in the boots. Lovin the fabrics too. Every time I'm around fabrics I want to sew a quilt, but my flat is full of them and so is Mom and Dad's house! I could justify one more small one for Jared, though...but I should get the stocking done first. Why did you do a different back? So it'll be stronger? I imagine simple felt won't hold up over time. Love you, crafty sis!