Thursday, March 25, 2010

Moral and ethical issues I never thought I’d be facing as a parent

Moral and ethical issues I never thought I’d be facing as a parent

Being a young, pregnant, soon-to-be mother, I would lay awake at night debating things like, spanking or time-outs? Let them date at a young age or shelter them? Public school, private school or home school? Be the “cool mom” or the “strict mom”? etc. Now that my little bundle of joy is here, I’m quickly learning the real issues. Take for example the “butt cheerios”. I put my son in his high chair and spread a good amount of cheerios on his tray. Most get tossed overboard, a few make it in his mouth and then there is the stash that somehow lands under his butt. How they get there I do not know. The real debate is not how they make the journey but what to do with them afterwards. They haven’t landed on the floor so my first reaction is to scoop them up and put them on the tray for next time. But they have been under his butt. A lot of times coming in contact with the outside of his diaper. So is it gross to recycle them? I can’t decide. So about half the time I throw them away, the other half I recycle them. Mostly I’m trying to avoid making a choice because either way, I think I’ll be wrong

1 comment:

Matt and Kristine said...

lol So funny. I actually think if I wouldn't eat it, I should throw it out. But there I times I pause and think, "She wouldn't know the difference." Oh the things we mothers debate.