Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"Hair Wars"-My dad

After years of living in a house of many pre-teen and teenage daughters, my dad appointed the title "Hair Wars" to all issues of deciding hair.
So here I am. Preparing for another battle in the life long "War of Hairs". Recently I cut off 13 inches and donated it to Locks of Love. Now I have this short cut, which while very cute and easy, started looking like a shaggy dog about 4 weeks after it was cut. Now I am passed the "shaggy-dog" state and wondering what to do. I know myself well and I KNOW I wont get my hair cut every month. But it's so much easier to do when it's short. Then on the other hand, truth be told, I don't actually like how it looks on me. Its all out of conveinence. Am I really to that state in my life where I care more about what's easier than feeling my best beautiful self? This cut is 100% different than anything I've ever had. But I can't help but feel like a middle-age soccer mom when I look in the mirror. Another family quote comes to mind. My mom used to say, "Oh Dan (my dad), this pregnancy has really aged me." Which is exactly how I feel about this hair cut! I am only 21 and when I look in the mirror I swear a 40-yr-old is staring back at me. So do I pull it back in a pony tail, letting it do its own thing, growing long, or do I go to the salon and cut it short and easy again?

Oh the pains of Hair Wars! I am not ready for this epic battle!!!

5 comments:

Jess and Tom Roberts said...

hahai feel ya. out of convenience (and only washing it every other day) I just stick it in a big messy bun with one of those sports headbands... i just got it cut with layers (after a year of not cutting it to keep it long) only to put it in a messy bun (and only doing it for church) haha. But i will not cut my hair shorter then my shoulders (did that last year and miss my long hair extremely!) Good luck deciding what to do!

Mrs. Potts said...

I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND. Nevermind the fact that straightening my hair is impossible with a 5 month old rolling all over the house, and even if I did, it would be pointless in this Florida humidity. Gah!

Unknown said...

I've been growing mine out since I chopped it all off when I was pregnant. Remember that? I missed it and now it is FINALLY at a good length again. I feel much prettier with long hair. I think you should just grow it out again and get highlights. Really, it doesn't take that long to fix if you let it air dry for a bit before. It's just the thought that's daunting. And you feel SO much better when it's all pretty and washed and long. Grow it out! (that said, I really did like your short hair...I'm just a fan of long)
-joy jackson

Matt and Kristine said...

Now, this is coming from a short hair lifer- but you will fall in love with your short locks again if you commit to a cut every 6 to 8 weeks. You can invest in yourself. I think as LDS women we sometimes feel we cannot or will not pamper ourselves, but you deserve it!! Just budget it in if you have to, take the time to get a regular cut and feel beautiful! I love your short hair, and you do NOT look 40 you look like a young cute mom. Keep your favorite picture from last time and take it in with your again and try someone new if you feel it just isn't right. You can do this Shelly! You deserve it!

R. Dunlap said...

Hey Shelly- I tried to call you so we could discuss this very important issue but I think I have the wrong number :( Anyhow, give me a call sometime and we can chat it up!