On October 28th 2009 my Grandpa Louis Gene Taylor passed away. I haven't blogged about it yet because I wasn't sure what to say. Luckily, Ray and I were able to be there for the funeral. Grandpa Lou had been sick for quite a while. I think he was able to stay as long as he did because of the loving care my Grandma Dot gave him. She was by his side till the end. Their intense love and devotion is hard for me to put in words. I love him. I miss him. I'm so happy I was able to be there and spend the week with Grandma.
The words I want to share to properly explain the feelings I have inside still haven't come. It's been a few weeks and I still don't know what to say. All I can do is share these pictures.
The words I want to share to properly explain the feelings I have inside still haven't come. It's been a few weeks and I still don't know what to say. All I can do is share these pictures.
Grandpa was a Marine and honored accordingly.

After they folded the flag they presented it to my Grandma Dot with their thanks for Grandpa's service. This photo expresses so much meaning to me.

Each grandchild was given a rose to place on the casket before it was lowered down. As I waited behind my other cousins and siblings I looked at the beautiful, simple white rose in my hand. The pure whiteness reminded me of many things. I thought of my Grandpa's white hair, the white clothes he was dressed in as he was placed to rest. I thought of the temple, its white walled exterior. But I also thought of things like white, vanilla ice cream and frosting on my wedding cake. I thought of my sweet son, Ray, when he's wearing just a white onzie and how cute he looks. When it was my turn I kissed my rose before i placed it on top and lightly patted the casket. I am so grateful for that moment. It is what I normally would have done when saying good-bye at the end of a visit; A simple kiss, a loving embrace and a soft pat on the arm.

And this last picture is to remind myself and those who are reading that Grandpa Lou lived a full happy life. My son, Raymond Louis, named for his great-grandfathers, is living proof of the wonderful legacy Grandpa Louis Gene Taylor left behind. Although I miss him, I felt peace at his funeral and still do when I think about it now.

2 comments:
I hope you're feeling well and you're incredibly lucky to have grandparents that you were close to and loved so much! Isnt it awesome to have the knowledge of the gospel that we do and that we know we can see our family again!? I absolutely love the flag presented to your grandma... such a great picture!
I am so glad you came down too! I wished we could have played more this last week, but I am glad you got to be with grandma, and honestly, I can't really do alot anyway. I already miss you friend. :-)
Post a Comment