This is from a few nights ago. Ray was beyond tired and had been crying and whimpering and i was really worn out trying to get him to calm down and sleep. So Joey took him and I think Ray was almost delirious from exhaustion and the results are the following!!!
P.S.
I'd like to give more of an update but Ray has decided if i set him in his crib to nap he'll only sleep for 20 minutes... instead of the 2 hours he'll sleep if i hold him. So right now i can hear him from his crib, whining to be picked up... after a short 20 minutes nap, which doesn't really count as a nap! How can it be fixed??? seriously, i need help. my house is a huge mess because i can't get anything done and i only get to shower if Joey is home. I love my son but he is driving me crazy!!!!
7 comments:
Same thing happened to me when Kenzie was about that age. The doctor told me this after I came into the office looking like a dead lady walking...its perfectly fine for a baby to cry. Just let him cry and eventually he will fall asleep. If he is screaming then you should go into his room calm him down then lay him back into his crib and start all over again. The first week will be hard but after it will get so much better.
Dulany has been doing the SAME thing to me this week. The other night it took me FOREVER to get her to sleep after whinning and being cranky/crying ALL day, and naps are exacrly the same.. maybe 10 minutes!! AHHH its driving me insane!i let her cry but heard i should give the 15 minute rule and wait that long, but afterwards go get her.. Yikes.
Love that video! It is fun to see Joey, we miss him! For getting baby to sleep advice I would talk to Christy. Your sister, in my opinion, survived it all. I was more of a whimp than she was. I would nurse Anna, she would fall asleep in my arms, and then I would lay her in the boppy. But, after a few minutes I would try to transfer her to the bassinet, then she would wake up in 15 min. It drove me and Matt crazy. It is so hard to distinguish times when they have to nap and let them cry it out and times when they just want your warmth and a snuggle to get their nap. I am no expert, and have probably done it all wrong, but at least I can say I know what you are going through and I have been so frustrated just like you. I would put Anna in the bouncer in the bathroom with me to shower, she cried sometimes, but mostly I could get my hair washed. Just don't have an expectation to shave your legs ever again! Good luck, love you!
We are going through the same napping problem with Jem right now - I just went to the library yesterday and checked out a couple of books about how to teach your baby to sleep, lol. How many times does Ray wake up at night to eat?
He is SO CUTE btw.
thanks for all the support from everyone! ray cried for two hours this morning and then i finally got him to sleep (on me of course) and he slept for 4 and 1/2 hrs... i just let him sleep on me because he was just so exhausted. he does really good at night, usually wakes up 1-2 times to eat. its during the day that he wont sleep in his crib. i think it might be too light in there, i need to shade the window or something!
Ray is such a cute baby! I loved that video, he's all boy too!
As far as sleeping goes, here is my two cents:
1. Books that can help:
"Baby wise" and "Healthy sleep habits, happy baby." So, I had a lot of time to read before Julia was born as I was in bed rest for a while, and out of the dosens of baby books these two were the most helpful. It's not always easy to follow their advice, but it worked for us. It did make Julia a creature of habit, so I didn't have as much freedom to go places whenever I wanted to, but she was the best sleeper once I implemented those rules. She learned to soothe herself, learned how to put herself back to sleep when she woke up at night without needing any feedings at seven weeks old and has been sleeping for 12 hours every night ever since she was three months old. I have loved it, so skim through those books if you have the time and see if you find anything you like!
2. If you decide to let him cry it out, be strong! Put a fan in his room, turn the fan on in the bathroom, put earplugs on, whatever it takes so you don't allow yourself to get worked up by their cry. (Easier said than done, of course!:)
3. Darkening shades worked great for us, especially as they get older and think sleep should only happen at night.
Good luck and hang in there! You are a great mom and Ray is such a blessed little boy to have you!
Hey guys! The video is so cute! i can tell that daddy and Ray are already best friends.
I have a few ideas that might work with his sleep issues. You need to train him to sleep.
The first thing to do is to establish a clear routine and a "sleep zone".
This might include giving him a bottle or nursing him. Sing or reag to him something that is very soothing. When he is drowsy but not yet asleep, lay him down in his crib. Walk out of his "sleep zone".
After about a minute, go back into his zone and rub his tummy or do something that will let him know that you are there, but try not to pick him up.
Go back out of the room and extend your waiting time to about 4 minutes. After that go back in and soothe him again. Go back out and extend yout time to 7 minutes. Keep this up.
At first it might feel like a lot of work but most babies tend to settle into a sleep routine quite quickly. Encourage Joey to do the same. Try sleeping with a sheet of his the night before you try this so that you can get your scent on the sheet.
Sometimes it's good for a baby to cry and they are smarter than what we give them credit for. They figure us out way too quickly. If you need to take a shower or do some chores and you know that he is safe, then do it. He will be fine- you know when his cries mean that he is serious.
Good luck!
Post a Comment